Sunday, October 19, 2014

Intro...


10/06/2014
Brand new page (and project!!) here!

Have you heard of "Bee Safe Neighborhoods"? It's a really great project where 75 contiguous (or, almost contiguous) homes pledge not to use neonicotinoid/systemic pesticides on their property. The organization's main focus is on the Honey Bee, but since some Bumble Bees are definitely in a state of decline (and possibly other native bees, too), I plan to focus on all bees and other pollinators as well. After all... we know that generally, butterfly gardening = bee gardening, right? So I want to do this in my neighborhood, and if we succeed, we'll be the 2nd Bee Safe Neighborhood in Virginia!

I'm hoping that by starting to organize this in the late fall, I can collect pledges throughout the winter and get people excited about their new neonic-free gardens next spring!

So if you're in Alexandria (specifically Alexandria West and even MORE specifically along Latham St. or Taney Rd., or that general vicinity!) and would like to talk to me more about this, please contact me at PollinatorPlates@gmail.com . 

If we can get a bunch of houses on the south side of Taney to pledge to stop using pesticides- or even just certain kinds of pesticides- imagine how beneficial it would be to Holmes Run and the wildlife in Holmes Run Park. I feel this is especially important for my neighborhood since we are on the edge of a park and I hope folks will be enthusiastic to sign the pledge and commit to a safer yard for our pollinators and other wildlife.

Target area
Here are some of my ideas:
- On Halloween: Dress in my bee outfit and hand out honey sticks and coloring book pages for neighborhood kids and a postcard or flier with info for adults.
- Folks who sign the pledge get a "Protect Pollinators" magnet from me!
- Bee themed garden party on my street's cul-de-sac when all 75 pledges are met.
- Encourage folks to stop by my "hell strip" garden during the spring/summer/fall to check out all of the nectaring bees!
- Hazardous Waste collection day(s) to collect pesticides that people may already have bought, but have pledged to no longer use. I will offer to come pick them up, or leave a bin outside of my house for a day or two to collect the bottles. What can I do with these pesticides after they're collected? I'm not sure what's safe to do with them or how to dispose of them, or if there is anyone who could use them in an enclosed environment, such as a greenhouse, where bees aren't visiting and the soil/runoff won't contaminate local waterways- if so, I could donate them. Someone please help if you have a suggestion! :)
- I am sure one of the first questions I'll get is, "What can I use instead?" If you have that same question, here is a perfect website to check out! 
http://www.growsmartgrowsafe.org/Products.aspx?Category=57695&SearchStr=
I'll definitely add this website to all of the info I'm handing out and make a QR code for it, too, which I may put on CUTE signs in a few places in the neighborhood for quick reference ;)

That's all for now, friends. Not quite as huge of an undertaking as the license plates, and hopefully this won't take as long! :) However, convincing people to part from their beloved and easy-to-find chemicals won't be easy.

I know, I know---- maybe it isn't neonics and other pesticides that are the problem. But you know what? The way I see it.... would it really be such a bad thing to use less chemicals even if they aren't the one and only single problem? Lawns are where the most chemicals are applied nowadays. LAWNS. How about we save those chemicals for big ag, whose job it is to increase yield and feed people, and us homeowners focus on feeding safe nectar and pollen to the little tiny guys and call it squah'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! If you have questions, concerns, criticism, or compliments, please leave them here. I'll do my best to respond. If you have gardening tips and tricks for specific problems you've had to deal with, I'd love to see those as well and share them with our readers! Thanks for posting!